Be a part of the Shaggy Yak and Snowball Chalet team that ensures guests have the winter holiday of their dreams!
Ideally, you are a ‘people person’ who has initiative, a positive attitude and can serve up a meal with the perfect mix of professionalism and personality!
This role is best suited to people with confidence and a can-do attitude who want to be part of a unique mountain dining experience in a Mongolian Yurt!
You’ll share tasks with a small team who’ll be doing everything from greeting guests, to serving up delicious meals, clearing tables, stoking a fire, helping with marketing campaigns, keeping the drinks flowing, cleaning and clearing snow.
You’ll be swapping stories with Shaggy Yak diners about your epic day on the mountain and if this means sharing your secret powder stashes, well so be it.
You will totally be required to participate in our Friday Night Snowball Fight.
Skills & Experience
We have a long list of dream attributes for our staff but realize we are looking for actual humans so let us know which of these super powers you have:
- Great customer service
- Bilingualism (preferably Japanese)
- Waiting/bar/hospitality experience
- Confident driving a 4wd in the snow (International Drivers Permit required)
- Tourism/travel experience
- Talking (Really. If you are totally charming with no skills you may just get the job)
- Team player
- Knowledge of Japan
- Basic cooking skills or willingness to learn
- Cash/credit card processing skills
- A love of music (we’ll need a high rotation of awesome playlists)
- Snow experience (not required but if you have a passion let us know about it!)
We’d love a team with diverse skills so please don’t assume you don’t meet the brief! Be yourself - let us know why you’d love to join the Shaggy Yak Yurt Bar crew. Be honest about your skills, experience and shortcomings. We’ll be sharing our experience of restaurant, travel and hospitality management so let us know what you’d like to learn!
We are passionate about what we do and truly value our people. We believe our staff are our business. You will work around 40 hours a week and we will make sure you will have PLENTY of time to head up the mountain most days, make great friends and have the experience of a lifetime!
If you are not a Japanese national, you must be eligible and willing to get a Working Holiday Visa for Japan. Please see details here: Working Holiday Visa. You will also need relevant travel insurance (we can advise which policies adequately cover snow activities. This is a must!).
The team for the 2018-2019 season will include:
- Management Team
- Snowball Chalet Guest Services Manaeger
- Snowball Chalet Guest Services 1
- Snowball Chalet Guest Services 2
- Shaggy Yak Head Chef
- Shaggy Yak Restaurant Manager
- Shaggy Yak Kitchen Hand
- Shaggy Yak Restaurant Staff 1
- Shaggy Yak Restaurant Staff 2
- Shaggy Yak / Chalet Services (works in chalet or restaurant as required)
- Madarao Tours Guide
Dates & Times
- 10-15 Dec will be the settling-in and training period
- 16 Dec will be ‘soft opening’ night with locals/friends testing our services at Shaggy Yak
- 16 Dec is the official season opening for Madarao Mountain Resort
- 22 Dec is the official opening for Snowball Chalet and the Shaggy Yak
- The official end of the season is 31 March however we will close in the days leading up to that as the village gets quieter
Ski resort work is obviously snow and customer dependent. All Guest Services and Shaggy Yak staff must commit to working from 15 Dec 2017 until 31 March 2018. Working days/times during the final 4 weeks (5-31 March) are open for negotiation if the workload has reduced. We’ll speak with staff regarding their shift preferences – we’re hoping to create an atmosphere where everybody is happy and living the dream...
How to apply
Email a cover letter addressing the skills and experience section above and a resume to join the Snowball Chalet team in Japan. Send it to email@example.com and we will be in touch.